Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Why I named my blog, Blog 462....your gonna love this!

I am sure a few of you wonder why I named my blog, Blog 462. This is one of those stories, that when you hear it, the hairs on the back of your neck might tingle.
20 years ago when I was an officer with the Reno County Sheriffs Dept, I was assigned a badge number, that number was 462. I had to use this number when communicating with the 911 dispatchers, when filing cases and writing tickets. I was only a deputy for few years before going into business. I didn't really think much of the number 462,  until it started showing up in my life very frequently. The first time I remember seeing 462 after my deputy stint, was on a Memorial day, a year or so after leaving the department. I was decorating my fathers grave and  noticed the cemetery had a promotion for the holiday weekend. They were offering plots, interest free, if you signed up during the long weekend. I thought to myself that I probably needed to considwer taking advantage of this deal, especially if they have a site close to my parents.They looked it up and I was able to purchase a plot right next to where my father and mother were so I decided to sign up. Once I got all the paperwork filled out they told me that I would need to make monthly payement for 4 years and handed me several pre addressed envelopes. To my surprise it was an easy address to remember- PO Box 462 Hutchinson. I told my family who was with me that address would be easy to remember as it was my badge number from the Sheriffs Dept..Little did I know that number would start apprearing to me everywhere I went.

As I tell friends about this number that seems to show up all the time. The first thing most of them say is, you better play the lottery. I "never have" and "probably won't" is what my typical reponse is. I think this number means more than that.

Most of you are probably thinking I am off my rocker, so I will share with you a couple of the wildest examples of when and where this number has shown up. This is where you might get that tingly feeling I talked about earlier.

It isn't uncommon that when I an purchasing something that my purchase rings up for $4.62 or my change from a purchase is $4.62. That happens very often and if I am with someone who knows about 462, they shake their head in amazement. Driving around- I will see tags with the numbers 462 or semi trailers that have an ID number of 462, or mile markers  showing 462. Some days or weeks I see it more often than others.

One of the most prolific stories I have about the number 462  is when I was on a getaway weekend to Oklahoma City with my niece Stephanie. We were visiting some of her friends who she hadn't seen for a few years. On our arrival we met everyone in the hotel bar during happy hour. We were catching up, having a few cocktails, telling them about our drive into the city. On the way down we stopped to get gas and bought some snacks the purchase totalled $4.62. Steph told them all about my special number, how bizarre it was and how many times it happens, they all speculated on what it meant. We decided to check in so we could drop the luggage off in our room and then head out to enjoy some of OKC's nightlife. The desk clerk at the Embassy Suites handed me my key and it happened again, my number made an appearance- I got room 462!!! Steph's friends were going crazy but only after they made sure that I had not called ahead and requested the room...To this day when Steph sees her friends from OKC they always bring up 462 and want to hear more of my stories.

The most incredible story about 462 comes from San Francisco. Steph and I were traveling together again.  I was getting an award for Regional Manager of the year from my company. She has never been to the California, so we turned the business trip into a min-vacation in SF. We stayed at one of the hotels on Powell Street. We checked in to the hotel on Sunday afternoon after a night of dancing and cocktails on a private charter in the bay. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so we had to wait in the lobby  for a few minutes. The hotels restaurant was not open and I was in need of a little hydration from to much celebrating the night before. I asked Steph to go next door to a little cafe I saw when the taxi dropped us off, and get us something to drink. I watched the Chiefs play on a TV in the lobby while she was gone. When she walked back in the hotel, I knew something was wrong. She had this look on her face that told me something is not right. I asked, "whats going on"? Thinking maybe she ran into problems at the cafe. She handed me the cup of Iced tea and said LOOK, LOOK at the cup! She had handed me a styrofoam cup and I could not believe what I was seeing...The cup had the name of the business CAFE 462, and thats not all, the address was in large letters were... 462 POWELL ST. We both looked at each other in  total disbelief. My number and them my last name--WOW.. I know we were staying on Powell St- but come on,--CAFE 462 at 462 Powell St..We didnt say anything to each other for a few minutes...we were both just so blown away.....

I could write a book on all the times this number has appeared in my life. As I said before, who knows what it really means. Is it a pure coincidence? Does it mean anything? Some will say yes, some will say no, it's just 3 numbers.
To me though, as many times as it has shown up, I  believe its a marker someone has given to me. A marker to let me know that the path I'm on is the path I'm supposed to be on.
As long as I continue to see 462, I will believe that. When I stop seeing 462, that's when I will become concerned.

A few recent instances where my number has shown up include my most recent power bill, it was $462. A couple of weeks ago I pulled up to a gas pump and the person before me got $46.20 in fuel. Just today, embarassing at it is, I got an overdraw notice from one of my bank accounts. It is the account I use for my paypal purchases. I bought something and I forgot to move some money into it from my checking.
My account was overdrawn $46.20. The paypal purchase I made that caused me to e overdrawn was an art print I was debating on buying-I didnt know if I should buy it...... looks like now, I made the right decision......

4 comments:

  1. Great story I love it everytime I hear it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool, and the fact that you even started noticing it is an indicator of how involved in life you are. Someday, you'll learn what it all means!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.. I think someday the higher power will inform you as to what 462 means for you and your life.. I think its fantastic.. my first thought was that it was your parents.. guiding you.. and as long as you keep seeing 462 you will feel them near. What ever the reason is.. I am glad 462 chose you.. it couldn't of chosen a better guy to hang with!

    ReplyDelete